Sunday, January 17, 2010

Tame those wobbles!

Dealing with your Jiggly Bits
New year, new resolutions! Yes it’s January again and here I go again with promises to myself that I will definitely give up desserts, (and chocolate and ice cream). This happens every year. Call it post Christmas guilt or even just a sense of live healthier, live longer! Whatever, the older I get the more all the junk settles in a nice bulge of fat around my middle that just refuses to budge.
The wardrobe has been de cluttered, I know my shape, gravity has taken a grip and I take a long hard look at myself. I’d love to think the mirror lied sometimes (could it be bad light)? But sadly what’s staring back at me is not a pretty sight. Rolls of wobbly fat…aaargghh!
Time to tame the jiggly bits! There are all sorts of body shapers on the market today from the ‘magic knickers’ to a far more comfortable all in one shaper. You need to shop around but you can get anything you want whether It’s something for thighs, bottom or tummy. I always recommend Dunnes or Penneys if this is virgin territory for you. After all why waste €70 -€80 on something you find so uncomfortable you will never wear it again. You will pick something that does the job very effectively in Dunnes/Penneys for less than €15. In fact the shapewear tights with the control panel are pretty fantastic if you want to get a great silouhette.
Does anyone out there remember the famous ‘roll on’? If you’re a certain age as they say then you will most likely have worn one. I did, and I think that’s why my particular generation has such loathing for these ‘sucky ins’! Rest assured ladies the underwear today is nothing like what it was 30 years ago. No self respecting lady should have an undies drawer without at least one figure shaping piece of engineering.
Can I tell you though unless you wear the right foundation garments you will never look your best. When were you last fitted for a bra? This is so fundamental yet most of us are still wearing the same size we started out with a hundred years ago. Boobs change with age, childbirth, and for myriad reasons so go to your nearest department store and ask to be fitted . You will be amazed at the difference it makes. Even tightening your bra straps can have an instant slimming effect as it visually lengthens the torso as well as emphasising the waist.
To hide a full stomach you need shapewear that comes right up to your ribcage. People keep telling me they roll down which can be very uncomfortable and of course defeats the purpose, what I always recommend is stitching it to your bra and hey presto you have an all in one! Trouble is what to do when you need the loo? Easy peasy, I just cut a hole in them, not very elegant, but sure who sees them anyway and it works! Trust me.
If you can create a ‘V’ shape at your neckline this will give the illusion of a long slim neck. In fact vertical lines will always help make you look slimmer. Also remember to hide the bits you don’t like. Draw lots of attention to the bits you’re happy with. Thing is, do you know what you’re happy with? Think about it and you go girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment